Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The fight is on!

This is a very difficult post to write…
Some of you may already know this and for others it is the first time you are hearing it. My beautiful, 34 year old daughter Jessica has recently been diagnosed with Stage Four Cancer. She possesses an amazingly positive attitude, great spiritual strength, and will of iron. Right now she is gearing up for the fight of her life.
She wants and needs to remain upbeat and to face this insidious diagnosis like the true warrior she is. I so appreciate all the prayers, positive thoughts, cards, letters, etc that have been pouring in, but with all that is going on, it is very difficult to respond to everyone in a timely manner.
You will see from Jessica’s note below that she is not going to let this diagnosis define her and even though we want to keep people updated we don’t want to breathe life into this situation by using the “Facebook Wall.” So, I have created a Blog at the following location to keep friends and family informed about her progress.
A note from Jess:
I want to send you my deep gratitude for all for the cards, money, gifts, texts, but most importantly prayers and positive thoughts. They have been so uplifting and mean more to me than you will ever know. I also want you to know that I am treating this as ‘a diagnosis’. I will not let it define me or deter me. I truly do not believe that God is ready for me yet. I have too much left to do. For some reason, however, I have been chosen for this battle and I believe it is so that I will come out the other side forged as strong as steel. That is the only possibility in my mind. Please continue to pray for me. I truly can feel all of your love and prayers. They not only help sustain me, but they are healing as well. God Bless You All!
With love,
Jessica 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    I do not know you, but I know your mother from so many years ago in Bay Shore, NY. She was always a beam of light to me back then, although, she never knew it. I can only imagine that you, too, have her positive views in life. I can only give you my emotional support and when, during the course of the day, I will think kindly and lovingly of you and your family.

    I have a few close friends who have overcome their cancer...it is so doable is what they tell me. So, here is to each day that you continue your healing and growth, not letting the cancer define you.

    Whatever I can do, just let me know. Take care...and try to put some fun into your day...I will put a little more into mine just for you.

    Love to you,

    Margaret Carew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess


    There is no doubt in my mind that god is not ready for you is right! You are an amazing, loving, adventurous, and strong willed. You will get thought this as a much stronger person. I know that you are already an inspiration to all of us. Keep all positive thoughts and the next four months will go by quickly. After that you will have a brand new start to choose any path you really want. I love you so much. I am just a few short hours away. I can come anytime of the day or night.

    Love Always

    Kimberly
    Ps I dont know what comment as means

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    I remember the day you were born and I remember thinking, she is as beautiful as her name. I never really knew what the meaning of it was until today. It relates to the Hebrew name in the bible Iscah (Jesca) which means TO BEHOLD! Well, BEHOLD because 34 years later, in the most challenging time of your journey, you are the picture of grace, dignity and strength! My niece, a woman to BEHOLD.
    In God's Grace and love,
    Aunt Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess You and your Mom are both amazing, beautiful people and a true inspiration to all of us. With your determination, faith and courage you are going to win this fight. You'll be in our prayers every step of the way. Every night I think of you as I cuddle up under the "green" throw blanket you gave me for my 60th birthday and when Uncle Tony looks over he says goodnight dear and off to dreamland I go! We love you both. Love Aunt Renie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess! We've known each other for so long and you are one of the most positive people I know... if anyone can do this you can! Thinking back we've been there for each other through many of the ups and downs life has brought us. And I am here for you now, so say the word and I will be there if you need a friend! :-) You are in my thoughts and prayers every day and know that I love you!

    Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica

    You are in our thoughts and we wish you the best. Stay strong.

    Love
    Chris & Amy Giglio

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband works for att and has forwarded me your info. I want to let you know that I know just how you feel because I am a survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma. It has been three years and I am happy to say it is all behind me now. I can see you have the right attitude and that you have many prayers coming your way. I would be happy to help in anyway I can, please call if you ever need to talk.
    Love Devon 704-947-2455
    Just remember one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi jessica,
    you don't know me but that is okay. i believe there is numbers in prayers. where you are right now is a good place. because that way of thinking & feeling is the best medicine, in this fight. i will keep you in my prayers & heart.
    stay strong,
    with love,
    christine mcnair
    bay shore class of 70

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jessica,
    My prayers for you are for strength to fight this battle, peace to know that God is at your side, hope to know you can win and love - of family, friends and even from those you've never met. I graduated Bay Shore High Class of 70 also and I am so happy to have reconnected with so many of my clasmates and so happy to have found your site so that not only can I pray for you but learn from you. I admire you strength. May God bless you abundantly.
    Lorraine (Sitone) Stevens

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Jess just read your thank you note and yes I agree you are so right God is totally not ready for you and I so feel that, you do have much to do and we all need you here to do it.You are such a special Lady and that is God's message t o you.We are all special to God and God gave you such strength and courage and people around you with wonderful gifts also,like your Mom, and im sure you know that and draw lots from her,OMG what a role model you were blessed with.I love you and your MOm very much Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jess,

    We are all so proud of you and glad that you got away for a little vacation! We are all here for you and when you need something, all you have to do is ask :) There are lots of people who love and care for you. Keep smiling :)

    ~Dr. Duke

    ReplyDelete