Thursday, July 2, 2009

Round 2

Well, Round 2 began today and Jessica went into it strong and prepared to emerge victorious. She has been grazing throughout the day and eating several small meals to bulk up for the fight and she has actually put on 2 pounds!

In light of all that has been thrown at her in such a short time, she remains remarkably upbeat. Comedies are her movies and shows of choice these days and laughter has definitely proven to be good medicine.

Speaking of medicine, several people have asked what they are treating her with. The chemo she is receiving is administered for 48 hours straight every 2 weeks. So she has 2 days on and 12 days off. We go to the Oncology Center for about 7 hours so she can receive her "chemo cocktail" which is a mixture of Oxaliplatin (Eloxatin), Leucovorin, Avastin and Fluorouracil (5FU) and then she goes home with a pump that continues to administer the Fluororacil (5FU).

There is another medication they are considering using in the future called Erbitux. The decision will be based on genetic testing. I'd also like to thank everyone that has sent info regarding clinical trials. We are looking into them, however the doctors want to measure her progress on the current protocol first.

Well, now that science class is over, I will close by saying that Jessica is going into Round 2 with continued optimism, a positive attitude and her big bright smile. Thanks to each and every one of you for your continued prayers, support and love!

7 comments:

  1. Go Jess! Great to hear about staying positive & upbeat. Thats the whole key. I knew you could do this. Keep up with the appetite. I'm sure your mom is a great cook too. I'll keep my eye out for some funny movies for you & send them up your way. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first comment is from Joanie...sorry, I forgot to put my name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    We are cheering for you! Go Jess Go! You are amazing! Ethan said to tell you to "stay great."
    I found a super silly picture of us from Wilmington. I will send it your way!

    Love, Love, Love,

    Wendy, Ethan, and Guerin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess,

    I'm on my way to the Seahorse to write your name in the sand. May you feel the sun shine down on you and the tropical breeze blow through your hair. Keep up the wonderful spirit! I love ya!

    Aunt Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica Good luck and God Bless You! You're always on our minds Love You Aunt Renie and Uncle Tony

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jess, Just wanted to check in & let you know you're on my mind. I hope you find this quote encouraging, I thought of you and others fighting cancer when I read this, not sure who said it, but it bears repeating:

    Cancer is Limited
    It cannot cripple love
    It cannot shatter hope
    It cannot corrode faith
    It cannot destroy peace
    It cannot Kill friendship
    It cannot suppress memories
    It cannot silence courage
    It cannot invade the soul
    It cannot steal eternal life
    It cannot conquer the spirit

    ~Love Newty

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. Just keep singing.

    We are thinking about you and praying for you,
    George

    ReplyDelete