Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Baby Jess" - Round 4

"Baby Jess" - as her friends at AT&T affectionately know her, has finished round 4 of her treatments. She remains in the lead with a score of:

Jess - 4 and Cancer - 0

The current plan is 10 rounds of chemotherapy with scans being done after round 6, so she is almost 1/2 thru this treatment plan. She handles her treatments very well. She is a bit queasy this time (she has medication for this), but the worst side effect is the exhaustion that comes over her. She will be laying low for the next few days as she recuperates, but if you know Jess you know that she'll still be smiling.

All things considered though, she is the "best patient" I have ever seen and we could all learn a few things from her about attitude and inner strength. With all that she is going through she is still a joy to be around. Her laughter fills the room and her smile brightens our day. She is so positive and inquisitive. She is voraciously reading all she can on the Mind/Body/Spirit connection and she is really taking an active part in her healing.

When I hear people complain about little every day annoyances, I look at her and think, "Don't sweat the small stuff." Life is too precious to waste on gossip, pettiness and complaining. She is on a very rough road but she is turning the climb into an adventure. I learn something from her everyday and I love her more each moment.

Again, very special and heartfelt thanks to all of you. Your support means more than I can say. You lift our spirits and bless our hearts every day with your outpouring of love!

5 comments:

  1. Baby Jess, our first baby girl, first grand daughter and niece! I remember the day this picture was taken. As usual you showed up at Nanny and Grandpa's house "dressed to the nines" as Art would say. You were such a beautiful baby and even more beautiful now, both inside and out. I used to love to show you off to all my friends and still find myself doing just that. All these years later they are "followers" of yours sending you love and support. You are an inspiration to all of us and "a light into our soul".
    With Love,
    Aunt Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whan an amazing spirit! I"m Michelle, Hank's daughter-in-law. Bea passed along your website, and I"m so glad she did! Thank you for keeping us updated. I look forward to the day that Jess can come to Florida so we can take her to the beach with us! (Our children are 7 and 4) We love following your support, and send Jess our prayers everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - I unfortunately have not seen you since you were probably about 10 when I lived in NYC and was with the airlines and took a trip to Long Island. I am your mom's older cousin (3 days older but it's not as much fun to say now that we're truly 'older'). I can not tell you how impressed I am with you. You have truly become such a beautiful young women both inside and out. Your mom had told me what a special human being you were and now I can see what she was talking about. Keep strong, I love your spirit and your optimism. Keep fighting for all of us. I am also so happy that you are at home with your family during this difficult time and have such wonderful cheerleaders on your team with Art and Diane. You will be in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this journey and know it will be a victory. We'd love for you to come to Colorado when you finish your battle and you can drive to the top of Pikes Peak to shout to the world your victory. Love, Aunt Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Aunt Colleen, but she just made me cry. (Happy tears!) Thinking of you, Jess! LOVE!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Baby Jess -- Hope today is a good day for you and you are enjoying the beautiful weather there. It's "hotter than a match" here as Sharon would say. But, we'll take the sunshine verses the rain any day of the week! Remember that you have a lot of people in your corner, and I'm one of them. I think of you often and hope you feel the love and support you have from your friends back here in North Carolina.

    Take Care --
    Newty

    ReplyDelete